Friday, May 26, 2006

Great advice from an econ teacher

I had to put in text book orders for the fall semester today. I always feel bad because books are so expensive, but I feel even worse that they are not used. Thus, when I stumbled upon the following from John Whitehead's site I felt obliged to mention it. Short version: text books are to be read!

"Student (sincerely): What can I do to get a better grade on the next exam?
Professor:
Well, how did you study for the first exam?
Student:
I went over the notes and thought that I understood them.
Professor:
Did you read the textbook?
Student:
No.
Professor (shouting):
Read the #@$%& textbook!
Student (giving me the look like I'm crazy):
I tried to read it but I didn't understand it.
Professor (calmly now, regaining his/her composure):
Right on, that's why it's called "study."
Student (excitedly): Oh. I get it! I can't wait to get started!

No comments: